Simplicity is often the quickest route to success and this salad is as simple as it gets but I guarantee you’ll absolutely love it. By cutting your salad ingredients into large slices and chunks, the salad feels quite substantial while still retaining a freshness and lightness which hits the spot on a warm summer afternoon. The melon and cucumber combination on its own is worth trying but the mozzarella, tomato and whole basil leaves round it off into a decent plate of food.
The recipe – if you need it (you can see everything that’s going on from the photograph) is below. A simple oil and vinegar dressing finishes it off but only dress your salad when it’s sat on your plate. Serve with some decent bread and maybe some well-chilled white wine.
- 1 Cantaloupe Melon cut into 1/8th segments and then sliced into 1/2 cm slices
- 2 or 3 ripe tomatoes – sliced
- A segment of cucumber – sliced – don’t do anything more fancy than slicing it at 90 degrees
- A handful of mozzarella, torn into chunks
- Whole basil leaves, picked.
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- A splash of red-wine vinegar – just enough until you’re happy with the hit of vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Mix the dressing. Assemble the salad.